Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tteatment Woes and my doctor's reaction


Treatment Woes and my doctor's reaction.
After almost two weeks in my new treatment regimen, I have become completely miserable from the drug, Accutane. In the photo above, you can see the extremely dry, flaking, chapped skin on my face. I also have dry eyes and chapped lips. The conditions left my skin itchy, raw, and painful, despite application of all types of lotion, facial creme and lip balm. In addition, the Accutane made me much more sensitive to the sun despite application of #100 blocking sunscreen. This made me Leary to go outdoors and so, I quit playing golf. This was not good for me as it's my only outlet for a little exercise and socialization. My appointment with Dr. Nicholas in Chicago was yesterday, 9/25. Patty told me if I didn't say something to Dr. Nicholas about this, then she would. During my exam, I also told him that my mood was depressed. We both agreed that this could be due to either the painful skin or from the drug, itself. There's really no way to sort it out. He could see that I was miserable and took me off of the drug. This leaves me on Temodar (every other week) and Avastin, twice a month). We will see how I do on this regimen after my next MRI scheduled for October 20. In the time up until then, he will help me look for a new clinical trial to enter. He has lots of expert connection in GBM clinical trials. He also told me that my skin should start feeling better within a week, or so.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Phil,

    I am so sorry that you had to go through this. I am glad that Dr. Nicholas immediately stopped the offending drug and maintained the treatment that you have tolerated well in the past. On the other hand, everything that you try teaches you and your physician something more about what works for you. I am glad that he is continuing to pursue ongoing trials and look forward to news on that front as well. The main thing right now is to allow your body to recover from the Accutane and return to more normal activity. God Bless you and your family.

    Rick Ludwig

    ReplyDelete